Wednesday, August 22, 2007

June 27th blog





I thought my legs were tired after hiking to the top of Salisbury Cathedral, but after the grounds at Versailles and part of the Eiffel Tower they feel like jell-O. I couldn’t believe my luck today. I’ve wanted to see the Hall of Mirrors at Versailles since I was a girl, but its been under repair for the past few years and we didn’t think we’d get to see it in its entirety. When we were approaching the final few rooms before the hall our tour guide announced that the final repairs to the Hall of Mirrors had been completed only yesterday and it was now finished and completely viewable.
That in itself made my day, and it was even more complete when we went up the Eiffel Tower this evening. As much as I loved Versailles, I still feel like there was so much more to see, I suppose that’s the way everyone feels. I’m glad we stopped when we did though, from the chateau to the Grand and Petit Trianon’s to the Queens Hamlet I’m sure we did multiple miles.
Our tour guide was and interesting individual, I sat across from him during lunch and I was terrified to talk because he’d told another girl that she should not address him unless she spoke proper English. The View from the Eiffel Tower was amazing.
We got there at the perfect time, light enough to see the city by day, but soon dark enough to appreciate it at night.
When they turn on the sparkling lights every hour its spectacular. And I had probably my millionth banana nutella crepe on the way home, so my day came to a very sweet end.

No comments: