Wednesday, June 20, 2007

June 18th blog


Not only did we get to see Blenheim Palace, but we also had scones and clotted cream and found an actual grocery store. my day is complete! Actually I’ve been feeling quite a bit under the weather with a bug that’s been going through the group, but I’m feeling a bit better tonight. Blenheim was opulent, no expense is spared in these buildings. Once again photography wasn’t allowed on the interior, but I did as many quick sketches as I could. The Long Library was my favorite. Most of the furniture was done in a rich cream colored brocade silk. The ceilings were beautifully detailed with their fair share of dentils, guilloche’s with gold leaf, acanthus leaves, husks and every other application you can think of. Hear some of the girls are taking a "break" in the huge front lawn.

I find it funny that during this period the English and the French despised each other, yet the English tried to emulate the French in every aspect. The most known Prime Minister who lived there was Winston Churchill, and I believe Queen Anne lived there for a time.



After we’d toured the palace we stopped in the restaurant where I had a pot of chamomile tea with a cute little pitcher of milk and sugar, and a large currant scone with a pot of clotted cream and some strawberry jam, it was delicious. Everything was trimmed and in its place in the gardens.

There was an italianate garden pictured hear and a secret garden that was much more wild than most of the other areas that was secluded and peaceful. All the fountains and hedges with the classic statues and baulistrads and the greenness of the surrounding is lovely.

No comments: